Liberty Media Shifts Gears to MotoGP

Liberty Media, the owner of Formula 1, has made a strategic move by acquiring the commercial rights to MotoGP, a premier motorcycle racing series. This $4.5 billion deal not only broadens Liberty’s racing portfolio but also signals a commitment to expanding the global reach and value of MotoGP, much like they have done with F1.

What’s next

  • Liberty Media now holds the commercial rights to both F1 and MotoGP, with an 86% stake in the latter.
  • The acquisition is valued at a hefty $4.5 billion, indicating Liberty’s belief in the growth potential of MotoGP.
  • Dorna CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta remains at the helm, ensuring continuity in management.
  • Liberty Media aims to leverage its experience in F1 to elevate MotoGP’s global presence and fan engagement.

Go deeper
Liberty Media’s foray into MotoGP is more than just a business transaction; it’s a statement of intent. By bringing the high-octane world of motorcycle racing under its wing, Liberty is looking to replicate the success it has seen with Formula 1. The deal, which sees Liberty acquiring a dominant 86 percent stake, leaves the existing management with a 14 percent share, maintaining a semblance of the status quo while opening doors to new opportunities.

The financials are impressive, with the deal reflecting an enterprise value of $4.5 billion. It’s a clear sign that Liberty Media sees a significant return on investment on the horizon. This acquisition is not just about the money, though; it’s about the fans. With a vision to grow the sport, Liberty Media is set to turbocharge MotoGP’s global footprint, mirroring the growth trajectory experienced by F1 enthusiasts worldwide.

At the heart of this transition is Carmelo Ezpeleta, Dorna’s CEO, who has been instrumental in shaping MotoGP into the spectacle it is today. His continued leadership ensures that the series remains in experienced hands, while Liberty’s resources and expertise in sports commercialization promise to bring new life to the motorcycle racing scene.

Liberty Media’s track record with F1 is a beacon of hope for MotoGP stakeholders. The group’s knack for enhancing fan experiences, increasing viewership, and driving up commercial value is well-documented. This acquisition is expected to follow a similar path, with the ultimate goal of elevating MotoGP to unprecedented heights.

The deal is set to be finalized by the end of 2024, pending regulatory approvals. This timeline provides ample runway for strategic planning and the laying of groundwork for what could be a new era for MotoGP. Fans, teams, and commercial partners alike have much to look forward to as Liberty Media gears up to bring its Midas touch to the world of motorcycle racing.