Zoom into F1’s Abu Dhabi finale, Alonso’s DRS maneuver, and Mercedes’ next-season plans, all in one turbocharged update.
Hey there, champion 👋
Welcome to your essential pit stop for the latest and greatest in Formula 1. We’re shifting gears and giving you a front-row seat to the action-packed season finale in Abu Dhabi.
🏆 Abu Dhabi Season Finale Insights: Dive into the latest news and data from the season’s grand finale in Abu Dhabi. Relive the gripping moments of strategic moves and discover who emerged as the ultimate champion in this high-octane showdown.
💸 Beyond the Budget: Discover why financial constraints aren’t holding back Williams Racing. Uncover the intriguing reasons why money doesn’t matter for this resilient team.
🌟 Mercedes’ Next Move: Mercedes has already announced their game plan for the next season’s car. Scroll down to see what they will change.
In today’s email:
- Speedy Race Review – Get all the latest charts, data, and news from Abu Dhabi GP
- In-depth education- F1 Banned: Brabham BT46B ‘Fan Car’
- Fast Lane News – Keep on the fast track in the world of F1 with your rapid racing recap.
- F1 2024 Calendar
Lights out, and away we go!
Speedy Race Review
🏁 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Highlights
🥇 Max Verstappen’s Victory
- Clinched his 19th win of the year
- Completed the most dominant F1 season ever
- Finished 17 seconds ahead of the Charles Leclerc
📊 2023 Top 3 Driver Standings
1️⃣ Verstappen: 575 points
2️⃣ Perez: 285 points
3️⃣ Hamilton: 234 points
🏎️ Constructor Standings:
1️⃣ Red Bull: 860 points
2️⃣ Mercedes: 409 points (edged out Ferrari)
3️⃣ Ferrari: 406 points
🔥 Race Details
📊 Race Pace
- 5 drivers and 4 teams are within a razor-thin 0.32 seconds of each other
- Perez had the 2nd fastest pace out there but ended up in 4th place Starting from the back and that 5-second penalty really set him back
- Russell was absolutely blazing on the track
- Tsunoda was the fastest with just one pit stop
🔄 Turning Points
- Verstappen maintained the lead against Leclerc
- Several position battles throughout the race
- Key strategies with tire changes
- Perez’s penalty changed the podium standings
- Mercedes and Ferrari’s intense battle for second place in constructors
💥 Drama and Controversies
- Hamilton’s damaged front wing
- Alonso accused of “brake testing”
- Perez and Norris’ collision
- Security issues during Martin Brundle’s “Grid Walk”
- Confusion over “pit stop infringement” penalties
🔝 Records Verstappen Has Broken
Max Verstappen has smashed some amazing records during the 2023 Formula 1 season. RacingNews365 has delved into the record books, and here’s a quick look at all the records he broke.
💸 Williams’ P7 Success: More Than Money
James Vowles, Williams’ team principal, is really proud of his team for keeping their seventh place in the Formula 1 constructors’ championship. It’s not just about the extra $9 million they get for it. He thinks it’s a big deal because it lays a strong foundation for the team’s future.
Between The Lines
- Even though Williams didn’t score any points in the final race in Abu Dhabi, they still managed to stay ahead of AlphaTauri, their main competitor.
- Vowles said that this achievement is more than just about money. It’s about setting a new standard and having a solid starting point for growth.
- Williams needs a lot more investment to really compete at the front. But, this money does make it easier for Vowles when he’s asking for more funding from their owner, Dorilton Capital.
It always helps having money in the bank account. But I’ve been very open and public about the fact that we’re throwing away, in terms of losses, tens of millions. But we’re here to invest, to go back to the front, whatever that costs us in the short term.
Vowles was pretty calm during the Abu Dhabi race, even though it was a tense situation with AlphaTauri possibly taking their spot. But he was already proud of what the team had achieved, especially since they stopped developing their car before anyone else and still managed to finish seventh. Beating AlphaTauri, who were really fast and even led the race at one point, was a big moment for him. – Read more
⚫ Mercedes’ Bold 2024 F1 Transformation Plan
Mercedes is overhauling almost “every component” of its Formula 1 car for the 2024 season. They’re doing this to bounce back and start winning again.
Why It Matters
- This year, they finished second in the constructors’ championship but couldn’t keep up with the Red Bull.
- They realized their car’s aerodynamics weren’t up to par
- They made some big changes mid-season, but it wasn’t enough to take the lead.
Toto Wolff shared just how big this overhaul is. They’re changing the chassis, weight distribution, airflow – almost everything, really. Wolff admits this is a gamble.
We could get it wrong also. So, between not gaining what we expect, to catching up and making a big step and competing in the front, everything is possible.
Wolff doesn’t really feel optimistic about the new design, saying he’s never been an optimistic person. It’s more about managing his expectations and always striving for better. Even finishing second feels bittersweet to him.
Ending the year in second place has mixed feelings for the team. Wolff sees it as a reason to stay humble and a reminder of the huge challenge they face to catch up with Red Bull. He expects other teams like McLaren and Aston Martin to be strong competitors next year. – Read more
⭐ Highlights from Abu Dhabi F1 Post-Season Testing
🌟 Esteban Ocon Shines in Abu Dhabi
Fastest Lap: Esteban Ocon tops the charts with a 1m24.393s in his Alpine F1 car.
Rookie Spotlight: Pato O’Ward grabs second place for McLaren, showcasing impressive skill
🏎️ Top Contenders and Rookies
Mercedes and Red Bull: Frederik Vesti secures third place for Mercedes; Sergio Perez snags fourth place for Red Bull
Ferrari’s Performance: Carlos Sainz, initially leading, finishes fifth; Charles Leclerc enters the top 10
Rising Stars: Alpine’s Jack Doohan, Ferrari’s Robert Shwartzman, and Williams’ Logan Sargeant (future uncertain) make their mark
🚀 Young Guns and Seasoned Racers
F2 Champion: Theo Pourchaire, fresh from his F2 victory, takes 11th.
Notable Names: Felipe Drugovich and Yuki Tsunoda show promise in 12th and 13th spots, Jake Dennis drives Red Bull’s RB19 to 14th place.
🚧 Unforeseen Hurdles
Unexpected Drama: Ayumu Iwasa’s car breakdown causes a late red flag
George Russell’s Mishap: An early crash leads Mercedes to investigate a potential car failure
⏰ Delayed Start and Other Issues
Delayed Kickoff: Missing medical helicopter leads to a late start
Additional Delay: A water leak under a bridge causes further interruption
🗣️ Alonso’s Crafty DRS Maneuver Explained
Fernando Alonso’s recent ‘brake test’ accusation by Lewis Hamilton at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix has been clarified as a strategic DRS tactic. The Aston Martin driver celebrated a strong season finish, placing fourth overall, a result even he didn’t foresee.
Between the lines:
- Alonso secured fourth in the drivers’ championship, equalling points with Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc but ahead on countback.
- The ‘brake test’ incident with Hamilton was a strategic move to gain DRS advantage, not an act of unsportsmanlike conduct.
- Alonso reflects on the season, considering it one of his best, even surpassing his championship years.
- Despite a successful season, Alonso acknowledges the AMR23’s weaknesses and the need for improvement.
- Looking ahead, Alonso remains committed to Aston Martin for 2024, with ambitions for continued success.
F1 Banned: Brabham BT46B ‘Fan Car’
In 1978, the Brabham ‘fan car’ made a dramatic entrance into Formula 1. Debuting at the Swedish Grand Prix, it won its first race and sparked endless discussions and debates. Its design and impact are still talked about today.
Fast Lane News
💪 Lewis Hamilton thinks that after a tough Grand Prix in Abu Dhabi, Red Bull is going to have another strong season next year. – Read more
🔄 Big news in the Alex Palou-McLaren saga: the legal battle is still going strong. – Read more
👏 Toto Wolff has nothing but high praise for Leclerc’s impressive late-race tactics. – Read more
🏎️ FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem is considering bringing Michael Masi back, even after the 2021 F1 title controversy. – Read more
😢 Max Verstappen really got sentimental when he spoke about Red Bull’s 2023 car, ‘Rocky’’ after its final race. – Read more
🆕 Stefano Domenicali has given an update on the Andretti Cadillac bid. – Read more
🤔 Sergio Perez’s season could have been much different without certain F1 restrictions. – Read more
👍👎 The best and worst value-for-money drivers on the F1 2023 grid. – Read more